Thursday, August 20, 2009

Big Climb

August 16th - Newport, Washington
Mileage - 97.16 Km
Total mileage - 205 Km
Ride time: 5:07 hours

Staying at the K&M Campground in Newport. Absolutely beautiful. Deby treated herself to a soak in the hot tub.

Cycled south to Chewelah, Wa and then east to Newport. From Chewelah to Usk is a road called the Flowery Trail. Huge long climb to the Chewelah summit at 4046 ft. I don't know what the elevation was from the valley floor, but it was way down there. Very pretty ride, but extreme.

Deby rode hard and did well. I was proud of the old girl. At half a century old I know that she did more today than 90% of girls half her age could have done. (Deby's comments are in brackets.... ahhh isn't he cute!!)

Stopped to wait for Deby at one point. Heard a rustling in the ditch and looked over to see a cow moose approximately 20' from me. Her beautiful brown eyes met my beautiful brown eyes and we shared a moment. Not unlike those credit card commercials. Then old blue eyes rode up and the moment was gone.

The reward for the long climb was the decent. Lots and lots of free kilometers. I reached 63 km/hr at a couple of points. Far to fast to travel on a loaded bike, but I couldn't help myself. The problems that can happen with a loaded bike range from speed wobbles to equipment failure, such as bags, snaps, bungees, carriers etc. etc. Oh well....

No comments:

Post a Comment