Friday, October 30, 2009

Mixed feelings

October 29th/09 - Key West, FL
Double Tree Hotel
Mileage: 80 km
Total mileage: 6,730 km

We left Marathon south bound on our very last leg of the journey. Sunny skies and the wind behind us, just as brother Greg had wished for us when we visited back in Bay City, Texas. Record high temperatures for this time of year. I think it was 90 degrees or something like that. All the Floridians are complaining but Deby and I find it quite comfortable...strange, eh.

Hwy 1 immediately took us over the seven mile bridge to Bahia Honda, our tires whining as we travelled easily in high gear. The palm branches chased us as we passed by, sailing down the road. Through Big Pine Key, Ramrod and Summerland Key, just to name a few. Then mysteriously and without conversation, we began to slow. Both Deby and I began to loose our expression of elation and we began to doddle. Slower and slower we rode. At one point we stopped to watch several iguanas at the roadside and at another point we stopped on a bridge for some time to watch a shark lazily swimming in the emerald waters. We talked and realized that neither of us wanted this trip to end. What was supposed to be a victorious occasion was now an occasion that we approached with mixed feelings.

We continued on through Sugarloaf Key, Boca Chica and finally to Key West. Immediately we rode to the monument marking the Southern most point of Continental USA for a photo shoot. We somewhat forced a smile and had another tourist take a photo of us. Again, mixed feelings.

This trip has been long, but it feels like we started it yesterday. This trip has been ripe with hardship, challenges and even pain, which all seems to have happened a thousand years ago...all forgotten (well mostly!). This trip has been full of beauty, oneness with nature, friendship and memories that will last forever.

There is no medication for our mixed feelings, nothing that can remedy those pangs. The only hope we have is to cycle from Alaska to Grand Forks next spring to complete the trip, north to south. Too bad I didn't think of that before we started. (Jury is still out if I'm going along on that leg, but there is a very strong possibility!).

Calypso, my bike, has been retired. I gave the 25 year old bike to the owner of the bicycle shop here...'Fixed Gears'. He said he knows a tall hippie that could use him. Calypso will spend his final years rolling through the sea breezes under the palms. Couldn't be a finer retirement for a machine that has served me so well.

October 31st we fly home to Grand Forks. Thank you all for coming along with us. It has meant a lot to us to keep our friends and family informed of our adventure, and we thank you for the many comments of encouragement along the way. May all your adventures be as wonderful!!

12 comments:

  1. I have mixed feelings as well!! Sad that this is the end...although very happy that you are both safe and sound! Look forward to the next leg ang the stories to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to cry!!! Bravo you too! Hope we can see you two in person soon! Love you and God Bless!!!!
    Deborah:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled to read your stories and sad that it is over, as you must be. I'm glad you made it to your destination and looking forward to you posting some of your pics on Facebook Deb!! Safe journey home,

    Kelly Rockney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats you guys! What an amazing, amazing adventure. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound and hope you've had an uneventful trip home. Shorter than the one down, to be sure!! E-mail me when you have a second. The e-mail I have for you bounced back. m.symons@sasktel.net

    -Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deby!
    Hope you get this comment re; your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late on the comments but when push comes to shove, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip, and I'm glad the 4 wheelers didn't get you. They are much worse than the alligators, bears, panthers or snakes. Looking forward to seeing you in south Texas with a couple of cylinders between your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! I enjoyed reading your daily life on the road, I too have done two bike tours of new zealand and australia and know exactly how you feel at the end. Very mixed emotions!!
    Its the best way to see a country, get to know the people,the sounds, smells and finally realize who you are as a person and that we underestimate our own abilities.
    If you do go to Alaska I will be reading your blog.
    Take care, (I use to live in GF's)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew Kim could do it - and Deby, I'm proud of you for accomplishing such an incredible feat!! You both deserve a long overdue rest! I've followed your journey every step of the way, sitting here, amazed and in awe of everything that you were going thru. Kim, you're a wonderful writer (maybe a book is in the works!) and I especially enjoyed the comments from Deby!! Welcome back to Canada! Keep me posted if you decide to do another trip - I'd love to travel thru your words again. Deby, don't forget to send me your email and address in case we get to Grand Forks on the motorcycle......Linda (and Royal)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you made it - did you give the fetish away also?
    A great journey - both inner and outer ...
    many blessings, ross - if your back in Santa Fe give notice oon@nets.com
    www.rosslewallen.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratuations, Kim and Deby! I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be done after such a long and adventurous journey together. I'm sure you guys will have some adjusting to do - living back in the luxury of your own home. I suppose you might have to break the habit of sleeping on your floor, rather than your bed!
    - Michele, your snorkeling buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kim & Deby! It was wonderful to read your comment on our blog. Since you gave me permission to post our picture, I did. It turned out great! Also, just to let you know, our snorkeling trip just wet my appetite for more. A couple of days later, I decided to dive to the seafloor and instantly fell in love! Now I'm looking into getting certified (and dragging Adam along with me). I hope you're all well and adjusted now to comfortable living. -Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Kim and Deby! what an amazing adventure you two have had! Thanks for sharing some of your stories with us :)

    ReplyDelete