Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A long stretch

September 15th/09 - Roswell, New Mexico
Mileage: 149 km
Total mileage: 2,909 km

Camped in a beautiful RV park on 2nd street just east of Atkinson Road in Roswell, New Mexico. Came into Roswell on Hwy 285. We don't recall having been abducted. Our butts are sore, but we are almost positive that's from the bicycle seats.

Long, lonely ride today. The scenery was intriguing, but there was absolutely nothing in between Vaughn and Roswell. There are two towns on the map, Ramon and Mesa, but they don't exist. A local in Vaughn had told us that there was nothing so we packed provisions and extra water and did just fine. In fact, better than fine, we flew. All downhill with the wind behind us. Starting now to make a run for sea level at the Gulf of Mexico.

Green pastures leaving Vaughn, almost as far as the eye could see. Far off to the west a range of mountains does border them. I think the Captain Mountains.

A cactus grows in these pastures which I'm sure is continuously eradicated by the ranchers, only to grow back again. The cactus grows multi-stemmed and has branches shooting out everywhere like sausages with prickles. It grows 3-4 feet high on average and blooms yellow.

Closer to Roswell the pastures get dryer and the grass yellows. The cactus thin out and a low growing bush takes over. There is irrigation in this area now and the mainstay seems to be growing grass and alfalfa for hay. The hay must be worth gold. For all the ranching to the north I never did see any hay land.

Had a flat tire yesterday pulling into Vaughn. The Flat Attack stopped the leak with about 30 lbs pressure left. I blew the tire up and again, psst-psst, 30 lbs pressure. I took the tube with the Flat Attack out and threw it away. Confirmed...neither Slime or Flat Attack will work in a high pressure tire on a loaded bike.

As I was riding today, a lady pulled up beside me and asked if we needed any water, juice, fruit etc. She was farely insistent and I had to assure her that we had lots of fluids along with us. Reluctantly she went on her way. Locals know what a desolate stretch this is.

Then it occurred to me. Twenty six years ago when I rode this stretch, countless vehicles pulled up beside me and the occupants would pass me a beer as I rode. Finally I had to decline their offers as it was starting to get difficult to ride. I love Americans!

Deby did extremely well today. Almost 100 miles on a loaded bike with few stops. She rode fast too. The Polish, they never give up.

3 comments:

  1. I sure am enjoying your trip from the comfort of my computer chair! Hope all is well! Keep safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! Love you and God Bless Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. being an expert traveller, having crossed the USA several times on two wheels (abeit with 1400+ccs between my legs), you need to cross Texas following the Rio (remember we are Spanish)Grande, (it's a tricle), and don't miss Big Bend National Park. It is one of the most interesting and least visited in the US (because like Death Valley it is friggin' HOT).

    Your Hot Tub, pool, casa, and tortillas are waiting for you in Mission.

    ReplyDelete