Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rabid Beast

September 26/09 - Alice, Texas
Holiday Inn Express
Mileage: 132 km
Total mileage: 3,939 km

Left Encinal this morning on quiet Hwy 44 eastbound. It was warm when we started and the temperature continued to climb. I estimate the daily high was about 100 degrees.

We noticed at Encinal that it was more humid now. Probably as a result of its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. The humidity increased as we rode through Freer, and San Diego and ended our day in Alice.

The terrain was the same, only more grassy now among the trees and cactus. Getting a little tired of the Texas chip coat. The roads are clean of debris and well kept, but the chip coat is rough. Hard on the bikes and the riders.

Attempted to move a tortoise out of the driving lane. I have a soft spot for tortoises. I lifted him approximately 2" off the pavement when he abruptly stuck his head and legs out. This altered my grip a bit and I dropped him. The small monster turned on a dime and came at me mouth open and hissing. Pretty good initial sprint too. Thinking that I had imagined what had happened, I attempted to pick him up again. Same thing, hopping like a rock, he charged. I rode on and from about 50 meters I looked back. The rabid beast had made it to the shoulder. That pleased me, but I think I would have been just as satisfied had I looked back and seen a semi barreling down on him.

Changed a tire on my bike in San Diego. My Michelin World Tour developed a large bulge. I am now running on two Walmart Bell tires and have lots of patches. I have come full circle.

We were intending to overnight in San Diego. San Diego however, as it turns out, doesn't have a campground, hotel or motel. We cycled on to Alice and got a hotel. Four days without a shower, Princess was getting pretty rank! (Princess, had washed her hair and sponge bathed in the restroom at the truck stop cause I couldn't stand myself anymore. Kim on the other hand, was very RIPE! The hotel was very welcome).

No comments:

Post a Comment